MBBS and M.S. from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore from 1979-1988 and trained in Head & Neck surgery from premier institutes in India and abroad:
Kidwai Memorial Institute of oncology in Bangalore
Adayar cancer institute, Chennai
University of California, Davis, U.S.A
Memorial Sloan-Kettering cancer center, New York
St George’s Hospital, London
The Netherlands cancer institute, Amsterdam
Underwent Robotic Thyroid surgery training at EEC, Paris in January 2013 and Proctorship in Robotic Thyroidectomy with Dr. Woong Youn Chung. One of the first in the country to perform the procedure of Trans-axillary robotic thyroidectomy
- Khandelwal Junior Oncologist Award for Scientific excellence, Indian Society of Oncology, 1992, Madras, India
- Outstanding Achievement Award – Apollo Hospitals, 1997
- UICC Fellowship Award – 1998- for project “Post Laryngectomy Speech Rehabilitation using the Provox Voice Prosthesis” at The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- S.L. Jaiswal Best Video Award – Association of Otolaryngologist’s of India, National Conference 2002
- UICC Fellowship award- 2008-for project “Speech & Swallowing Rehabilitation after Head & Neck Cancer Treatment, St. George’s Hospital, London
- Started Head & Neck Fellowship program at Apollo Hospitals, 2013
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Shenoy A.M., Hasan S., Nayak U.K. et al (1992), Radio – recurrent Laryngeal cancers – role of Salvage Laryngectomy, Pakistan Journal of Otolaryngology 8:63-65.
- Shenoy A.M., Hasan S., Nayak U.K., et al (1992) Neck metastasis from an occult primary – The Kidwai Experience. Indian Journal of Cancer 29:203-209.
- Shenoy A.M., Nanjundappa, Nayak U.K. et al (1993) Scalp flap – a utility and reconstructive option For head & neck surgeons. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology 107: 324-328.
- Kumari P., Augustus M., Nayak U.K., et al. (1995) Cytogenetic and viral studies in undifferentiated Nasopharyngeal carcinomas in patients of Indian origin. Indian Journal of Cancer.
- Nayak U.K., Donald P.J. and Stevens D. (1995) Carotid resection for invasion of malignant tumours. Archives of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery 121:1029-1033.
- Nayak U.K., Chowdary S., Sainadh B.S.S. et al (1997). Glomus Intravagale tumour A case report.Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery 49:2:136-138.
- Nayak U.K., Reddy B.S., Chowdary S., (1999) Carotid artery resection and vein grafting for Malignancy. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery 51:4:72-75.
- Nayak U.K., (2001) Provox voice prosthesis – The Indian experience. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology And Head & Neck Surgery 53:1:73-75.
- Nayak U.K. (2003) “Surgical management of some unusual parapharyngeal space tumours”
Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery.
- Nayak U.K., Swain B., (2004) Myocutaneous v/s microvascular free flaps in oral cavity reconstruction.A comparative study. Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery 56:2:96-98.
- Nayak U.K., (2005) Head & Neck Cancer in India. Feature article, ENT News 14:3 July/August; 74-75
- Umanath K. Nayak (2011) “Tracheo-oesophageal voice prosthesis – A revolution in post laryngectomy voice rehabilitation” Feature article inMedical equipment & Automation, Vol 5; No. 1, Nov-Dec 48-54.
- Sekhar S, Nayak UK, Suhasini D, Rahul B, Mehrotra R. (2015) Parathyroid Hormone as a Marker for Predicting the Severity of HypocalcaemiaFollowing Parathyroidectomy. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg Dec;67(4) 407-11
- Somdipto Das, Umanath K. Nayak, Rahul Buggavetti, Shobana Sekhar (2016) Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of Accessory Parotid Gland: A Case Report Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Volume 74, Issue 5, p869-1100
- Shobana Sekhar, M. Vamshi Krishna, Umanath K Nayak, Chinnababu Sunkavalli, Arsheed Hakeem, Kausik Bhattacharya, Nandita Sesikeran (2016) 3 Drug Oral Metronomic Chemotherapy in Advanced Recurrent and Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma South Asian J Cancer. Apr-Jun; 5(2): 37–47.
1. “Voice Restoration after Total Laryngectomy- Current Science and future perspectives” – Byword Books – published in 2009
2.“Clinical radiology of Head & Neck tumors” – Springer publications – 2017
3.Contributed 2 chapters in the book “Essentials of Head and Neck Cancer” – edited by Staffieri, Sebastian, Kazi et al – 2011